North Beach Pub Tour
From Beatniks to Blues masters, drunken sailors, hardened fishermen, and karaoke kings, North Beach is full of colourful, local identities and fanciful folk heroes. Find out about them over an Anchor Steam ale on this San Francisco tour that will get you talking.
- Discover San Francisco’s hidden pubs in Little Italy with a local guide
- Rub shoulders with the regulars at one of North Beach’s best bohemian pubs
- Stroll through the colourful streets of North Beach
- Try an award-winning Northern California craft brew
- Learn about North Beach’s colourful history
Inclusions: Local English-speaking guide, one drink (choice of beer, wine, or soft drink).
Exclusions: Food, additional drinks, tips or gratuities for your guide.
- Duration: 2.5 hours
- Meeting point: In front of Vesuvio Café, 255 Columbus Avenue
- Starting time: 7.00 PM
- Ending point: Washington Square
- Full Itinerary
Discover San Francisco’s best bars, pubs, and cafes on this laid-back walking tour of North Beach. Kick off this San Francisco pub tour at the a hip little joint famous for its literary gatherings, which inspired several Beat generation writers. Get a taste of Anchor Steam ale, which has been made in the city since 1896, or try one of California’s world-class wines from the nearby Sonoma and Napa Valley. Still a local favorite, this bohemian café has a fantastic array of photos of writers, actors and artist adorning the walls.
Hit the pavement and head off into North Beach, one of San Francisco’s most vibrant neighbourhoods. A beach no more, the area was settled upon landfill, including hundreds of abandoned ships left after the 1849 gold rush. Once home to fortune seekers, local fisherman, international sailors, and writers, North Beach still maintains a distinctly bohemian and Italian flair, which means it’s nothing short of fascintating to take a walk through, especially with a local!
On this San Francisco night tour, we’ll explore a number of local bars and cafes, from a bar decked out with sea faring trinkets left behind by sailors, to the city’s oldest watering hole with its colourful mix of locals and its thriving big Blues music scene. Sip on an espresso while experiencing the atmosphere of a traditional Italian café, complete with red leather booths and a classic jukebox spinning 45s. Later, there’s even a chance to serenade the house at a local karaoke bar!
End your San Francisco tour at Washington Square, a local hub that’s well connected to public transport, or an ideal spot if you want to continue exploring North Beach’s wealth of cafés, bars, and restaurants independently. Your guide will be happy to provide some excellent local suggestions to continue exploring, or give you some directions back to your accommodation.
- Inclusions: Local English-speaking guide, one drink (choice of beer, wine, or soft drink).
- Exclusions: Food, additional drinks, tips or gratuities for your guide.
- Your Trip: This trip is offered on a “join-in” basis. Maximum group size is 12
- Confirmation of booking: If you have your voucher, your booking is confirmed. We’ll see you at the start point. Get in touch if you have any concerns or require more information via the email address or phone number (business hours only) on your voucher.
- Child Policy: All participants must be at least 21 years of age and have a valid photo ID. Any traveller who cannot produce ID proof of age at the beginning of the trip will not be permitted to travel on the trip.
Mr. JOHN F. from Australia travelled on 14 Nov 2016
Jim was a fantastic guide. Great knowledge and humour. History and venues fantastic. Highly recommend it to anyone
Mr. Amber O. from Australia travelled on 24 Oct 2016
Our guide Jim was amazing in adjusting for the needs of the group.
Ms. Jennifer F. from United Kingdom travelled on 29 Jan 2014
The North Beach urban adventure showed us an area of San Francisco off the tourist path that we would never have found on our own. Our guide Claire was great fun, informative but informal and super friendly, so we didn’t feel like we were getting a scripted tour, just felt like we were getting shown around by a local friend. We hopped between a few bars, from a bohemian hangout favoured by Kerouac and the Beat generation poets, to the Saloon – the oldest bar in San Francisco – with great live music for free – our favourite. Each bar we went to felt like it was full of locals, so we felt like insiders rather than part of the tourist crowd. It was fun to learn a little local history along the way about the bars, the North Beach area and San Francisco life in general. Great way to see another side of the city in a short space of time, highly recommended.
Mr. James S. from Australia travelled on 21 May 2013
My guide Kelly was knowledgable and laid back. Went to some great pubs and finished with a walk up Telegraph Hill at sunset for amazing views of San Fran. Will recommend Urban Adventures to my friends.